Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pap smear etiquette?

of all my pap smear appointments, this is the first time i forgot to check my calendar before scheduling the check-up. my appointment is tomorrow afternoon and i just got my period - is it rude to keep my appointment or should i call and reschedule?
Answer:
I just had this problem today.

My period started yesterday and my appointment was today.

The answer to your question, if your cycle is light, they will go ahead and continue, but if it is heavy, then you need to reschedule.
call and reschedule
Reschedule, they don't want to test you with your period.
reschedule - they won't be able to get what they need if your flow is too heavy.
I have always rescheduled. I don't think they appreciate you coming in with that going on. When I've called and told them what was going on they would always reschedule me.
yep call and reschedule
Call and reschedule! They won't care, just tell them why. I do that a lot. Besides, you'll be wasting your money and their time if you go.the results are more likely to be abnormal.
Reschedule... I dont thik the doctor wants any blood..
reschedule it
you are supposed to call and reschedulr i think it it can mess with the results
Reschedule. Having a pap test during your period can alter the results.
put yourself in the doctors shoes, or hands for that matter... reschedule
yea id reschedual.
You have to reschedule, they can't get a proper smear.
It's best to go about a week before your period begins, so my Dr says.

Q. Can having a Pap test during menstruation effect the results? I've heard not to get one during this time. Can it cause abnormal results? Why is this?

A. You're right about what you've heard: women don't usually have Pap tests done during their periods. Menstruation itself does not cause abnormal Pap smear results but, menstrual blood makes abnormal cervical cells difficult to see. (You see a lot of blood cells instead).

It's recommended that women schedule a Pap test between ten and twenty days following the start of their periods. It's also important not to douche, apply vaginal medication, and/or insert spermicide (as foam, cream, jelly, film, suppository, or tablet) for about two days before the exam because they may remove or obscure abnormal cells, preventing the most accurate test reading.
More info on the link I provided.


Best wishes! =)
reschedule - I don't think doctor's necessarily mind when you have your period (they've seen it all), but you can't get as accurate of test results when you are bleeding. if you can't reschedule, I'm sure they'll just do their best - no worries.
I'd say give them a call. I had the same thing happen to me. I called; they said come on in if my flow wasn't too heavy yet.
most doctors won't do a pap smear when you are on your period...not accurate enough.
You don't have to reschedule. Having your period will not affect your results.

However, I've always rescheduled for modesty reasons.

More importantly, if you've been using tampons, and they rub in there, they can cause perfectly normal, unharmful tissue regeneration (aka healing), the rapid growth of cells on a pap smear looks like it could be cancer. Then you get called back, and you have to do it again, and you have to be worried for no reason, etc etc.

Your call, really. But next to what your doctor sees every day, a period is no big deal.
Call and reschedule - the blood etc can obscure the results or the test, so they would have to do it again later.
Rude is not the problem. Accuracy of cultures and your PAP smear will be messed up by the menstrual discharge.
[ OR/GYNs are not phased by blood - they deliver babies, remember? ] Re- schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Period cramps © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net